¡Deja que el mundo te cambie y podrás cambiar el mundo!

Let the world change you and you can change the world!

--Che Guevara

Thursday, September 22, 2011

International Day of Peace


Yesterday, September 21, was the UN International Day of Peace.  As I was reading some articles and playing around on facebook, I came across one of my new favorite websites:  International Day of Peace.

I thought these words from the website were rather powerful and simple:
"Anyone, anywhere can celebrate Peace Day. It can be as simple as lighting a candle at noon, or just sitting in silent meditation. Or it can involve getting your co-workers, organization, community or government engaged in a large event. The impact if millions of people in all parts of the world, coming together for one day of peace, is immense."

"International Day of Peace is also a Day of Ceasefire – personal or political. Take this opportunity to make peace in your own relationships as well as impact the larger conflicts of our time. Imagine what a whole Day of Ceasefire would mean to humankind."
Not only did I enjoy looking at this website, but I proceeded to be bombarded with so many others with such wonderful peace initiatives and projects.  Here are just a few to start:
Going off of this, the Peace Corps is currently celebrating its 50th anniversary year and before I came back to Doha, I came across some really amazing artwork done by students at the University of Connecticut.  Here are a few of my favorites: 
"Fifty years ago, at a time when hippie culture was thriving, the Peace Corps began their campaign to promote peace around the world. Today, they continue to successfully help countries in need and promote peace." - Harleen Chhabra
My goal was touch upon the subtle moments in the Peace Corp where change is really taking place. The actions of the Peace Corps are not only about a citizen of an advanced country aiding a citizen of a developing country, but about the equality and balance of giving and receiving, where learning and growth is happening between teacher and student. The most important aspects of the Peace Corps, and for that matter the most important aspects of peace, come from listening and communicating. It is in the younger generation that ideas are shared and dreams are made, and they are the hope for a more united and prosperous world." - Cassie DeRosa
"Peace simply stated is to envision a world without violent conflict. My vision of peace refers to the planting process and how societies can benefit if everyone altruistically assisted in the growth of other nations.  The doves, being a symbol of peace are referenced within the treetops and are intended to slowly reveal themselves to a viewer." - Kristen Candella
"I was interested in focusing on the celebratory aspect of the Peace Corps and its 50th anniversary.  Whereas my image does not necessarily serve to recruit members, I hope that the intricacy and uniqueness of the image would invite viewers inward for investigation. I incorporated the original Peace Corps logo into the poster as a means of combining a classic and recognizable symbol into a unique environment."
Happy Peace Day....and may it be today and everyday...

No comments:

Post a Comment