¡Deja que el mundo te cambie y podrás cambiar el mundo!

Let the world change you and you can change the world!

--Che Guevara

Monday, December 26, 2011

Camping in December

The second weekend in December, I had the pleasure of camping in the desert for the first time since moving to Qatar!  I went with two other teachers and 17 students who has signed up for the trip through the Outdoor Club in the high school.  I had just finished two of the busiest weeks that I had experienced in a very long time and to be quite honest,  I was not looking forward to this trip.  I had just wanted to lock myself up in my apartment and relax on the couch completely closed off to the rest of the world.  Nevertheless, as we arrived to the our camping site (about an hour outside of Doha), the sun was setting and the full moon was about to appear.  I have to admit there is always something so calming and surreal about being in the middle of no where and being able to see a sky full of stars.  Despite the cold desert air at night, being outside in the fresh air and nothingness really helped to calm my mind and put me at ease.  The stress, workload, and anxieties of the the past two weeks and the week to come disappeared from my mind for the time being.  I must also mention that it was really great to be able to spend that time with some great teenagers.  They were so entertaining and fun to be around.  Here are a few pictures from our night in the desert and the next days hike...
Full moon in the desert.
Headed to camp at dusk.
The beautiful sunrise sure made not sleeping all night not matter at all!
Sunrise.
Pretty beautiful I think...
Exploring the desert and playing with their compasses.
Desert wonders.
Ripples in the sand.
Don't let me fall! :)
Dried mud or Doritos as the kids so affectionately called them.
Almost finished with our hike.
Quick stop at the sand dunes on our way back to Doha and reality...

No comments:

Post a Comment